Friday, August 15, 2014

Something I Can't Understand

 
Someday, a family member who may not even remember me will say, my Uncle Chris was there.
 
 
I'm slowly getting back into the blogging mode.  I have been a busy bee this week with my teacher training course.  It takes a lot of energy to work with teachers four to six hours a day non-stop.  I am not the type to sit down, I stand and walk around during the entire course. 
 
Something came up on Bill and Dot Bell's Facebook page this week.  It involved a couple who wanted to move their belongings to Mexico.  My personal opinion is that if you are changing countries, bring your personal memories and what can fit in your car.  The rest, like fulltiming, requires eliminating "your stuff".  Back to the FB story, some people posted things along the lines of, "boy are you going to get screwed, you're going to pay bribes" and on and on.
 
I said the following and I stick by it:
 
"I'm not sure why there is so much negativity from people who live in Mexico. The country isn't all about corruption and bribes. You "can" follow the rules if you so choose to do so. It puzzles me that so many people live in a country they have such little faith in."
 
The bottom line for me is that a lot of ex-pats who live in Mexico live here because they don't have a lot of income and Mexico is still cheap.  That is one reason their knowledge of the country is limited.  To live cheaply, you have to live in a small town in the middle of nowhere.  That's a fact.  I have met people in San Miguel de Allende who live on $700 or less a month.  Not an easy thing to do when you have NOB taste.   But they do.  They don't live in the "zona historica" and they don't own a car.    Rving isn't cheap because of toll roads and fuel prices although I have to say that Tioga and George did a pretty good job of it considering he started with nothing.  His life has changed and although I didn't agree with much of what he posted about Mexico (hence what I said earlier about limited knowledge) he lived a Mexican boondocker's life. 
 
In the end, I guess it takes all kinds, doesn't it?  People who come here for different reasons.  Some to enjoy the warm weather, food and drink, beaches, cheap, or they love the country, the people and the language.  Most rvers I know attempt to do things in Spanish and I could make a list but I won't because I always end up leaving someone out :)
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. I had to leave their facebook page again. Too many posts that have nothing to do with being "on the road in Mexico". Apparently most people like reading all the crap and negativity and I'm the one in the minority, so I left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just about there too. That's why I posted this. A bunch of unhappy poor retirees who have come to Mexico because it's cheap and they don't like living here so they piss and moan a lot. Very little on rving but how many of us really rv in Mexico? Very few. It's not a big market so the conversation changes. Just like Rv.Net. Now the conversation there is water and what to stay away from because everything in Mexico is dirty, contaminated, will make you sick. Well then, stay home, it might be better :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your comment on Tioga George "interesting". Not that I have any opinions about Mexico, but my impression had never been that his comments, or view points were all that "disagreeable". Maybe a bit "simplistic"?
    Would you be willing to elaborate, or is that maybe a bit too far out on a limb?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, I'll be glad to answer via a blog post just to make my comments clear.

      Delete