Wednesday, June 5, 2013

I Can't Believe It Either!

living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com



 
Yep, I can't believe it either.  I weathered the heat, sat in heavy lunch hour traffic listening to the helicopter reporter give locations of the twelve rush hour accidents, having conniption fits, and finally reaching my destination.   Amazing store, they carry everything you need for solar.  I found this 30 amp 12/24V charge controller for 1000 pesos, tax included.  That comes out to 80 dollars U.S.  Imagine the shipping to Laredo, having to drive to the border.

So it has taken me 5 months to get the charge controller.  Any bets on how long it sits here while I admire it before it gets installed?  My only concern is I don't remember which cables coming out of the panel are negative and positive.  I need to find someone with a volt meter who can tell me before blowing the thing up.

I'm very excited.  Finally, freedom!

7 comments:

  1. What colors are the two wires? If they are red and black, red is positive. In any case, black will be negative as this is industry standard.

    Kevin..... Can you remember what we did?

    ReplyDelete
  2. White positive, black negative. 99.99% sure. Nah, 100%

    ReplyDelete
  3. A VOM (volt/ohm meter) is a very inexpensive item (as little as $5 at Harbor Freight in the U.S.) and should be part of every RVer's tool kit. It is an incredibly useful trouble shooting tool for the homeowner, boater and RVer. It will help educate you about anything electrical!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I would have to think that black is negative. Can't see us doing it any other way!

    But Mountain Ham is correct...you should have a multi-meter anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kevin is right. We would not have done it any other way and I recall confirming the polarity with my meter. White positive, black negative!

    ReplyDelete