Sunday, January 20, 2013

Reader Help - Considering Linux Software

living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com

Like everyone else, we have all had attacks from viruses and adware.   I have read off and on for the last couple of months the glories of Linux.   It says you don't need adware, virus protection and you are not constantly bombarded by Microsoft with upgrades.

I read an article about a guy who collects old computers and laptops no longer able to run, wornout and useless.   By installing Linux, he has brought them back to life and put them to good use in schools.  Just another testimonial to its greatness.

My question is how do you use Office programs in Linux?   Have any of you readers ever made the change?  It would be interesting to receive some feedback.  We have an old HP laptop and we are  thinking of giving it a try.

On another note, we went to visit family today.  Sat outside in the warm sun for a few hours and chatted about all the goings on while we were gone for six weeks.

We also received an email from our latest rv visitors who are now installed at Weber's in SMA saying they had a great stay and a wonderful trip down. 

5 comments:

  1. We haven't had any anti virus software on either one of our laptops for over five years now. You know we're on the internet a lot, and we have had ZERO virus problems.

    Sorry I can't help with Linux...have never had the need to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to do that on my old laptop but ended up gibing it to my ex DIL instead.

    There are many versions of Linux, some easier to setup and use than others. You can buy a disk or download it for free. Open Office is compatible with MS Office and has a Linux build. It is free as well, in fact, everything is free for Linux.

    The interface is not as slick as Windows but it functions very well, probably much faster than Windows.

    If you are not using the computer, you have nothing to loose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tutorial on installing is here:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhnLk3gviWY

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been running Ubuntu for two years now. there are many free programs available including Open Office which I use. There are still many things that I don't know how to do. But for general surfing it is just fine.
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have used Open Office and it is OK. I had to switch back to Windows and Office as it is a bit difficult to collaborate with Office users; or at least in my case my work that was heavy on reviewing revision marking in Word docs.

    ReplyDelete