Saturday, February 12, 2011

Traveling Through Chihuahua

living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com

I came up to Chihuahua City Thursday afternoon on a 6:30 flight.   I am working for two days here between Chihuahua and Hidalgo del Parral.    I am staying at a wonderful hotel, Casa Grande which is part of the Westin group.  Very spacious rooms and excellent service.  I got up early yesterday and went to the gym first thing.  Had the breakfast buffet but with a twist.  One of the items on the menu were ejotes con chorizo (green beans with chorizo), tasty and a good side dish to a couple of fresh cooked eggs.


I had to take the bus to Parral which is about three hours away.   My course started at 2 p.m. and I left the hotel around 8:30.  Better safe than sorry and a good thing.  There are three bus stations here in Chihuahua.  I was closer to the outskirts of town here in Cuauhtemoc where there are two smaller satellite stations.   The front desk told me which one to go to and the taxi dropped me off there.  I went in and they told me the buses for Parral don't stop there.  Back in a taxi and off to the other station.  Arriving there, I had just missed a bus and had to wait an hour and 15 minutes. 

The trip to Parral was a trip down memory lane.  We passed through there a few years ago on our big trip to Las Barrancas del Cobre (the Copper Canyon).  The bus passed the rv park outside Chihuahua in El Fresno which is behind a Pemex station.  You pay at the station and go through the gate.  A simple place but very good pads, concrete picnic tables and 30 amp service.  All the mountain scenery, and the golden grasses along the highland desert route.   It was almost sad to see wondering if and when we will ever get to come back with the rv.   

 Buses stop anywhere along the route to let people off.  This guy was going to his ranch.






 Selling excellent burritos made with oversized tortillas and filled with shredded beef and salsa.


Watching movies on the bus, albeit dubbed in Spanish.




I have spoken to many people since yesterday including taxi and travel bus drivers.  They all say that daytime driving throughout the canyon area present no problems.  I didn't get home until after 10:30 last night and it was a very warm and comfortable drive with good movies.

Today I have a group of 120 teachers which I prefer over smaller groups.  I work until 2 p.m. and then head to the airport.  I have a later flight at and am hoping to change it to get home early.


2 comments:

  1. I remember staying in that RV park behind the Pemex. I was surprised at how nice and well kept it was with good hookups and pads. We were the only ones there even 5 years ago, I guess they relied on caravans.

    Nice to see that life goes on, we know that it does but for those that only see the news NOB it is hard to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is memory lane for us as well. We stayed in the same RV park and explored the city. It was almost empty when we were there as well. Not sure how they make it pay.

    Wave to Pancho Villa's ghost if you see him. He traveled that road between Chihuahua and Hidalgo del Parral one too many times. His bullet ridden Dodge is in his museum in Chihuahua if you have time for a visit. Also nearby is the prison where Miguel Hidalgo spent his last days. It is a beautiful city. Wish we were there with you.

    ReplyDelete