Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Oh, You Want Wheels With That?

living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com

The frustration has left and the humor has taken over. Still in the search for an rv. First I want to say thanks for everyone's encouraging words and even my friend Bill has offered to check out rvs while they are there in Indiana. Wow, that is pretty nice!

I found another perfect rv in Corpus Christi, Tx. I thought the price was reasonable, the layout next to perfect and a bit longer than we wanted but heck, you can never have too much room. I spoke with the salesman, a very pleasant guy who explained that "that one got away" but there are more coming at the end of the month. So I wanted to confirm the price I saw listed and he said, "oh that is the factory price, then there is shipping from Indiana, upgrades we add for the Texas heat" and on and on and on. Hence the title above about adding wheels :).

After I hung up I had a good chuckle and wondered about the rv industry. Everyone says it's on the slides but I have yet to have a salesman want to keep me on the phone to try and make a sale. No one has offered to lower the price, remove some options or even better throw some in, a newbie package with full LP tanks, a starter kit, nothing.

When I ask them about providing a commercial paper so I can take it to the border for export then it all seems to go sour. Mostly because they don't know what I am talking about. I then ask them if I can apply for a "manifiesto" so that I can get my Texas sales tax returned and they get a queer look on their faces.

The big issue in all of this is the import taxes, border agent charges and more that we have to pay for importing the rv into Mexico. There's a limit to what we are willing to spend. But I am determined to be in an rv sitting in Dolores Hidalgo for our Independence celebration!

3 comments:

  1. Chris, check Craigslist in the towns of interest. If you post on here, I will bet you have enough online friends that we will cover you no matter where you find an RV. I know there has been a lot of reasonable priced RV's on Tucson Craigslist. Give it a try!

    rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, check Craigslist in the towns of interest. If you post on here, I will bet you have enough online friends that we will cover you no matter where you find an RV. I know there has been a lot of reasonable priced RV's on Tucson Craigslist. Give it a try!

    rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it has been a year and a half since we bought our MH in Texas but even then the dealers were all upbeat sounding. Recession? What recession? This is the best April sales we have had in ten years....

    ReplyDelete