Sunday, May 4, 2008

Sunday Is Salsa Day!

living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com

It's been raining since late yesterday. I was in Allende leveling the new trailer and it sprinkled off and on. When I got back to the house in Los Cavazos, the place was practically flooded. Good thing, I will never complain about rain. The yard is nice and green and the pool got a free fill up.

Today I decided to make huevos rancheros for breakfast. You can't have huevos rancheros without homemade salsa. In Mexico, each region, each city and even each household has their own recipe for making salsa. There are also different types of chilis that are used in the process. Some use jalapeƱo, serrano, arbol, piquin (monte), habanera, just to name a few. Here is my recipe that I have developed over the years and it really may be nothing unique but it sure is good. Regulating the level of "hot" depends on both the type of chili and the quantity. Here's my recipe:

3 tomatoes
6 chili serrano
1/4 onion
1/2 cube of tomatoe bouillon
dash of pepper

Some people roast the chili first, others stew them in water. In my case, and it seems to work just fine is to throw everything in a blender. After bring to a simmer in a sauce pan over medium heat for 15 minutes.Boom, it's done and ready to be used on just about anything. It lasts for a week in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment